One major tradition that you won’t want to miss out on at your wedding reception is the speeches (toasts). Done well they can be one of the most memorable and treasured moments of the evening, particularly if you’re hiring a videographer, so make sure that you make adequate space for them in your evening timeline.
Ensuring that your wedding speeches don’t go on too long whilst giving each speaker enough time is key to captivating your guests when it comes to the speeches. Traditionally, the speakers would include: father of the bride, your maid of honor (if she wishes to speak), the best man and the groom.
The first toast is usually by the ‘host’, traditionally being the father of the bride, and once all guests are seated post cocktail reception, and before the dinner has begun so guests aren’t distracted, (too tipsy), and the speakers can then relax and enjoy the meal/ rest of the evening.
A few months before the wedding is the best time to invite and ask your ideal speakers if they would like to say a few words or short speech on your big day. This will give them plenty of time to think about their speech and what they’d like to say. The ideal speech is around 3-5 minutes long per speaker, father of the bride and your groom however can be a bit longer as they’ll also likely have to thank the vendors and share a little story or a window into your lives as a couple, making their speech nearer the 8-10 minute mark.
A typical wedding speech consists of the speaker introducing themselves to the all of the guests, thanking the hosts/ bride & groom, a brief introduction of their speech (i.e one word that comes to mind when describing the groom/ bride/ couple etc), a few sweet or funny memories, concluding and ending with a congratulations to the newly married couple and signing off with a toast.
Here are 15 of our favourite quotes you can add to your wedding toast…
- “Where there is love there is life.” — Mahatma Gandhi
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” — Audrey Hepburn
- “You don’t marry the person you can live with—you marry the person you can’t live without.” — Unknown
- “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” —The Alchemist
- “It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” — Rita Rudner
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” — Mignon McLaughlin
- “You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Seuss
- “Marry a man your own age; as your beauty fades, so will his eyesight.” — Phyllis Diller
- “The man who says his wife can’t take a joke, forgets that she took him.” — Oscar Wilde
- “Women marry men hoping they will change. Men marry women hoping they will not. So each is inevitably disappointed.” — Albert Einstein
- “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” —When Harry Met Sally
- “To me, you are perfect.” — Love Actually
- “It’s like at that moment the whole universe existed just to bring us together.” — Serendipity
- “May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, lie with me all the nights of my life. And if you must cheat, then please cheat death. Because I couldn’t live a day without you.” — Leap Year
- “I found the one whom my soul loves.” — Song of Solomon 3:4
Call us today on +357 26949696 or Contact Us, we would love to help!
Follow Liopetro Wedding Venue on Facebook and Instagram!